Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Finish for window sill

writes:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 19:03:56 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 19:48:50 +0000, no one wrote:

Like an idiot I stained and finished our new wood window casing & sills
with Shellac several years ago. Now of course the sun & exposure has pretty
much taken their toll & I need to refinish.

I don't want a urethane since that yellows over time. I was thinking about
a pre-cat laquer or a water based polyurethane or varnish. Any preferences?
I'm leaning to the poly. It will be brushed on.

The best one can do for something like this is spar varnish from a
marine store, like West Marine. There are also deck varnishes that
will do.

Isn't the only interesting property of spar varnish is that it's
somewhat flexible (so doesn't crack and peel off spars)?

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/f...-spar-varnish/