Posted to rec.woodworking

Default what's the opposite of "Obtainium"?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 07:58:30 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

on Wed, 21 Apr 2021 15:15:25 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

I'd been saving scrap brass & copper "cause I know I can find a
use for it sometime." Well, some time came, and I sold it for gas
money. "Okay, that works."

I heard a story of the guy who had one Jeep on a trailer behind
his New Jeep. New Jeep engine seized, so he swapped jeeps and headed
home. Gets in an accident, his jeep is totaled. Buys it back from
the insurance company and parts it out. Files a claim for the engine
(under warranty), gets a bigger engine installed. End of the month,
he's got a bigger engine in New Jeep, he's parted out the old jeep and
is ahead a thousand bucks.

Sounds like a lot of work for $1K.

Maybe it is. But you know how it goes, a thousand here, a thousand
there, pretty soon you're talking real money.

A day here and a day there, pretty soon you've taken your whole life.
There's always more money to be had. Never more life.

Of course "every body else" is doing it wrong.

His money, his life, his junked Jeep. As long as he's not an
active hazard to the community, what's it to ya?

Opinion. It's a poor use of time. I doubt many consider the number
of heartbeats they have left, in their economic decisions. ...or even
the opportunity cost of doing such things. I would probably pay
better to be a greeter at WallWorld.