Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default How much discount do tradesmen get?

On 22/04/2021 15:03, Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 2:38:57 PM UTC+1, SH wrote:
On 22/04/2021 14:33, Jonathan wrote:

Discounts depend a lot on who you are and on your purchasing power. Many years ago I was sent to make an unusual across the counter purchase of some electric equipment for a LA, normally these things are done through a requisition order and therefore you never see the cost. On this occasion I did and the discount on the retail price was 80% that is some mark up for Joe Public, and I am sure the distributor still made a profit on the transaction.

Richard

Agreed. Forty plus years ago many "trade" counters would not serve the
general public at all. I worked for the CEGB and my site purchasing
department would, on request, give you a "trade note" that said
something like "Supply goods as requested for cash payment". The
discount on their "book" price was typically 35%. But their book price
was usually better than the sheds of the day too. More recently a mate
of mine had a Radiospares account for his business. IIRC his discount
was also 35% on their catalogue price.