Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default Trailer Relay

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Chris Holmes wrote:

Back in the dark ages I had a Rover 214 with a tow bar. But it didn€˜t
have an indicator to show when you had a trailer attached.

It was possible to buy a replacement indicator relay which had an extra
output to light a bulb on the dash when it detected that there was an
extra bulb in parallel with the indicators.

How would this have worked? Would all of the indicator current have been
sent through the coil that activated the switch for the extra contact,
and only when the extra bulb was connected would the current be
sufficient to throw the switch?

Or something else?

You need an indicator light to tell you you have a trailer attached?

--

Last time I looked, which was some time ago you were required to have an
indication that your trailer indicators were working. Originally that