Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OT: Local politics, opposition?

On 21/04/2021 10:10, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 00:05:36 +0100, Dave W
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 20:47:30 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 20:25:41 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 20/04/2021 20:17, T i m wrote:
With the upcoming local elections I had planned to spoil my paper [1]

well why not simply not bother to vote. They really couldn't care
less about the people who do that.

Unfortunately wouldn't understand even if I tried to explain it to
you. ;-(

You're bonkers.

Hey, it sure beats the alternative if that means democracy being no
more than some bigoted / selfish opinion or down to the toss of a
coin.

Most councilors are going to say what they think we want to hear
(obviously).

Most councilors therefore will be promising things they will never be
able to deliver, even if they get elected.

I got a parking ticket (in a 20 min free parking area that had been
changed to requiring a ticket even for the first free 20 mins after
maybe 20 years being without a ticket being required). The signage was
poor, the machine obscured and I was there for no longer than 10 mins.

I appealed to the Council parking manager and it was declined. I
contacted our local councilor, he looked into it and I got an email
from the Council saying that 'in this case' they would drop the PCN.

So, should I vote for that councilor for that reason?

It demonstrates that they are prepared (and able) to act in the
interests of their constituents, and suggests they might be an effective
councillor. So unless you find their politics abhorrent for some other
reason, you could.

Its a bit like if I order something from a new supplier, and something
goes wrong. How they deal with it and fix it is far more important than
the fact that something went wrong.

--
Cheers,

John.