Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: Local politics, opposition?

On 21 Apr 2021 17:59:28 GMT, Tim Streater
wrote:

On 21 Apr 2021 at 14:10:46 BST, T i m wrote:

Ordinary 'non elected' people often stand up for themselves or a group
and counter the incumbent or protect themselves or another group so
why would you have to be a local councilor to do that (and have to
comply with any party rules)?

Any fool can be a protestor.

True, but lots of intelligent people also protest. But I wasn't taking
about 'protesting', I was talking about putting together a peoples
action group that hold the councilors to their word.

It takes rather more than the ability to pick up
a placard and spout ******** at passers-by through a megaphone, to actually
get something done (which is why Corbyn never got anywhere).

Of course. It also sometimes takes enough people marching and telling
the truth to get stuff changed.

One might have
more respect, don't you think, for someone who can make a coherent argument,
get themselves elected (so they have some actual power and authority), and
then get it done.

Yes, assuming the latter is the case (and a big and dangerous
assumption). How do you know they *will* 'get it done' till you elect
them and see if they can? And what if they can't (or worse, **** a
loads of things up in the process).

OOI, how many councilors have you met that you would want running your
business?

And you can always stand as an independent.

I would think they would have less RW power than a group of determined
people.

Cheers, T i m