Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: Local politics, opposition?

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 12:45:30 -0000 (UTC), Bev wrote:

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 12:01:54 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 20/04/2021 20:17, T i m wrote:

Well that is the way a democracy is supposed to function - it needs an
opposition to ensure there are checks and balances on the governing
party.

Whilst that sounds reasonably logical (from this political outsiders
POV), how do we know that those in power aren't doing what's best for
all of us (hah, I know ...)

One option for T i m of course would be to stand himself in the local
elections.

I could indeed.

That way he could best represent himself and those who share
his views and ensure that a proper challenge could be given to those he
considers are not doing their best

That's a given for those putting themselves up to represent us isn't
it?

for 'all of us'.

I didn't actually suggest they weren't doing their best for 'all of
us', I asked what difference it would make to have any 'opposition'
and if it made any difference if they were in power (as in 'a' ward
amongst many) or not.

Ordinary 'non elected' people often stand up for themselves or a group
and counter the incumbent or protect themselves or another group so
why would you have to be a local councilor to do that (and have to
comply with any party rules)?

Cheers, T i m