Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Stephen Wolstenholme Stephen Wolstenholme is offline

Default cheap solder smoke filter or overkill?

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 10:07:59 -0400, JJ Lark
wrote:

Have a box fan and, since not being satisfied with existing solder fume
filter because I have to be within 6" of opening, I purchased one of
these filters and placed across the box fan:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Filtrete-...ilter/36728389

Appealed to me since it already has built in charcoal filter as well.
Won't be tested until this week. Thoughts?

When I was 16 I had a job in a TV factory. The PCBs were soldered by
floating them on solder baths. There was no sign of any smoke.
Soldering the components that had to be mounted by hand produced a
small amount gray smoke that was sucked up a vacuum pipe next to the
soldering iron. Almost everyone worked without the pipe because it got
in the way.

Steve

--
http://www.npsnn.com