Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OT: Local politics, opposition?

On 20/04/2021 20:17, T i m wrote:

With the upcoming local elections I had planned to spoil my paper [1]

I have never really understood why people do that[1] Is it the belief
that it sends some kind of message?

(I could perhaps understand the logic if there was a legitimate "none of
the above" voting option - but with the current system, ISTM the only
message it sends is "I am a tit"!)

If you don't want to vote for *any* candidate specifically, vote for the
one that you think will do you least harm, or the one you think will
form the most effective opposition to the one you expect to win.

but I got a call from a representative of one of the parties last
night, suggesting that even those they represent a minority of wards
in the borough, they do hold those in power to question and that in
itself should be worth voting for?

Well that is the way a democracy is supposed to function - it needs an
opposition to ensure there are checks and balances on the governing party.

Whilst that sounds reasonably logical (from this political outsiders
POV), how do we know that those in power aren't doing what's best for
all of us (hah, I know ...)

Well there are still plenty of "straight" ones out there that will at
least do what they think is the best thing (although that may still not
agree with what you think is the "best").

or that having this thorn in their side is
likely to make it as easy for them to do what they think best (and
after all, the vast majority in the borough voted for them) and that
this 'opposition' has any (more) teeth than they might with no
councilors in power in the borough?

The guy on the phone was pretty reasonable, no hard sell or
undeliverable promises, just this point re being able to keep the
incumbent in check? Can they (or can they more by having *some*
representation than not)?

Indeed - if nothing else it stops the administration getting complacent,
reduces the chances they will make legal errors, or try to act beyond
their authority etc.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Irrespective we will still bother to attend in spite of them
moving the polling station from 50 to 150 paces away. ;-(

--
Cheers,

John.