Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's happening here? Ping

On 20/04/2021 13:50, Ian wrote:
On 2021-04-20, Robin wrote:
On 19/04/2021 21:59, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I'm supposed to be pinging 224, but it shows it pinging 183 which is
unreachable, yet then reports stats for 224.

C:\Users\Harryping 10.131.97.224

Pinging 10.131.97.224 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.131.97.183: Destination host unreachable.
Reply from 10.131.97.183: Destination host unreachable.
Reply from 10.131.97.183: Destination host unreachable.
Reply from 10.131.97.183: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 10.131.97.224:
Â* Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

I'm a networking tyro but - unlike some other posters - that seems to me
neither wholly surprising nor a failure as such nor something to which
Unix and Linux are immune. Search for "ping gives result for a
different ip address" and you'll find examples of what can cause it.

No other OS I know of interprets an ICMP error response as a successful ping response

Hint: We're laughing at the summary line, not the host unreachable.

While it does seem an odd way of doing it, there might be some sort of
sense to it. Having got a response back that the destination host was
unreachable does mean that the packets were not lost, just that they
could not be passed on, unlike if there were just no response and each
attempt timed out.