Posted to uk.d-i-y
JohnP JohnP is offline

Default Time for re-design?

Theo wrote in
:

polygonum_on_google wrote:
What I would very much like, though costs might put me off, is a
system where what you can see - the plate, the socket holes, the
switch - can be removed and replaced easily and safely.

I think you could have a system where the cabling is terminated in the
backbox, and the faceplate simply plugs into it. With some careful
design, removing the socket wouldn't break the ring/radial connections
and wouldn't expose live parts - a little like the base plates of
cordless kettles. That could allow Joe Householder to change the
colour of their sockets without disturbing the wiring, and would allow
easy removal for painting etc. It would also be useful for 'smart'
sockets (with USB ports etc) in that you could safely disconnect them
when testing circuits, and it would make it easier to fit them in the
first place.

You'd probably make this in three parts - the metal/plastic backbox
that's part of the fabric of the building, the slim base contacts, and
the socket faceplate. For better termination you might have three
sets of Wago-style clamp, rather than having wires sharing screw
terminals. Having separate base contacts would mean you could choose
the size to fit the job - if you have 10mm2 cables for some reason you
could get the right one to terminate those.

It might cost a bit more, but it pales into insignificance compared
with electricians' time.

Theo

The "fly lead" moulded into the socket / switch would lead to a cost
saving and could be more flexible than the heavier circuit cable.