Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default Time for re-design?

On 20/04/2021 10:43, SH wrote:
On 20/04/2021 10:33, Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 April 2021 at 09:57:41 UTC+1, JohnP wrote:
Pet hate is the back box for sockets and switches. The way of
cramming in
the cables is crude. Especially as if you change a fitting the termianls
can be in a different configuration.

I would like to suggest - for your views!

The circuit cables attached to a terminal block that is a part of the
back
box. The switch or socket would be connected to that block with a fly
lead
that would be an integral part of that switch / socket with a Wago type
connector.

Any sympathy for this idea?

I cannot see that coming but there is potential for Wago type
connectors on double sockets. I have seen a video of someone who
mocked up one just as a demonstration. Light switches, single sockets
and other 1-gang accessories could be problematic to fit in existing
back boxes and that is where the real problem is in backward
compatibility.

Richard

One common issue I do see is the copper wire deforming in a ductile
manner under the screw, which is a form of stress relaxation

Copper is pretty much creep-free. Unlike aluminium that requires a
maintenance schedule.

The only cause of movement would be differential expansion between
copper and the alternative material, normally brass.

The wires are no longer under the same level of compression at the time
of installation, so that would be one benefit of using wago style
terminals in place of the screws.

While contact may be consistent I doubt it would enjoy the same pressure
as a screw terminal.
Heck, the same idea could be applied to RCBOs/MCBs current carrying
capacity permitted on the output terminals.