Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default merge point rule

On Tuesday, 20 April 2021 at 12:09:05 UTC+1, fred wrote:
Two lanes merging into one. Arrows clearly define which lane merges into which. At the merge point who has the right of way ?
I only ask because in certain parts of the country if a lane is closing and prior warning is being given all the sheep immediately abandon the about to be closed lane. Same sheep take great umbrage if one tries to merge at the head of the queue as recommended. (i..e) Zip merge as opposed to a comb merge)
To me the obvious choice should be a one to one merge at the merge point but lots of pillocks take offence.

One to one merge at the point could be a good idea. But only if the vehicles in BOTH lanes have double the gap that would usually be required for the speed/weather/etc. Otherwise, at and after the point of merge, they end up having too small gaps. Also, only really can work if speeds are pretty much the same in both lanes.

Further, if there are are plenty of large gaps, is there a reason to defer merging until the merge point?

In other places I know where there is a merge in turn arrangement, there is often plenty of road ahead in case it is needed. If you wait until the last moment to merge, then any slight mistake by anyone results in much braking and annoyance.

What is, in my view, wholly unacceptable, is for those in the right lane to whizz past lots of slow or stationary vehicles and expect positive action to be let in.