Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default Time for re-design?

polygonum_on_google wrote:
What I would very much like, though costs might put me off, is a system
where what you can see - the plate, the socket holes, the switch - can be
removed and replaced easily and safely.

I think you could have a system where the cabling is terminated in the
backbox, and the faceplate simply plugs into it. With some careful design,
removing the socket wouldn't break the ring/radial connections and wouldn't
expose live parts - a little like the base plates of cordless kettles. That
could allow Joe Householder to change the colour of their sockets without
disturbing the wiring, and would allow easy removal for painting etc. It
would also be useful for 'smart' sockets (with USB ports etc) in that you
could safely disconnect them when testing circuits, and it would make it
easier to fit them in the first place.

You'd probably make this in three parts - the metal/plastic backbox that's
part of the fabric of the building, the slim base contacts, and the socket
faceplate. For better termination you might have three sets of Wago-style
clamp, rather than having wires sharing screw terminals. Having separate
base contacts would mean you could choose the size to fit the job - if you
have 10mm2 cables for some reason you could get the right one to terminate
those.

It might cost a bit more, but it pales into insignificance compared with
electricians' time.

Theo