Posted to rec.woodworking

Default what's the opposite of "Obtainium"?

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 14:45:38 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 3:48:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 08:14:15 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I'm surprised that with a market that hot, that the seller didn't tell
him to put the offer where the sun don't shine.

The seller has already moved out and needs to sell. Obviously the selling agent
wants to close the deal, so agent-to-agent, he let my son know that he wants to
move this along.

Most of the repair issues are small enough that my son asked for $1500 off
of a $350K offer. However, one was a big one - one that it turns out the seller knew
about but didn't fully disclose. His disclosure doc had the "No" box checked for
plumbing issues but a handwritten note in the "If any Yes box is checked, please
explain" saying this:

"water leak outside seller fixed" (that's word for word, I saw the document.)

That confused both my son and the inspector, so they made sure to take a hard
look at the plumbing. When they got to the house, the main shutoff inside the
house was off. They turned it on and got no water into the house. They shut
it off to be safe and went outside to check the shut off at the street. It too was
off. The meter for the house is in between the street shut off and the inside shut
off. When they turned the street valve on, the meter started turning. :-O
Turns out that there is a leak between the street shutoff and the interior
shut-off.

When my son mentioned this to the selling agent, he was told that the seller
had already arranged for the leak to be repaired, not expecting the house to
sell immediately upon listing. We'll see. My son stipulated in the repair request
that the repair was to be done by a licensed contractor. He's trying to avoid a
a duct tape fix that's going to fail right after he closes. As of now, we don't
know if it's as simple as a leak in the irrigation system or if the driveway/
front yard needs to be ripped up.

That sounds bad. Really bad. The irrigation system shouldn't be
between the shutoffs or at least there should be a valve on the
irrigation system.

Whatever they tear up has to be returned to at least the same condition as what
my son signed the contract for. If it's not, he will negotiate further or walk.

It's difficult to unzip a lawn and zip it back closed without it
showing.