Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT(ish) - self destructing plastic carrier bags

"newshound" wrote in message
.. .
On 19/04/2021 12:44, David wrote:
Monday grumble.

I've dug out yet another stash of stuff (cable ties this time) and the
plastic carrier bag is self destructing as do most bags of a certain age.

I can understand that this was seen as a good idea at one time because
plastic bags in the countryside and in landfill would crumble away in
time
instead of being there "forever".

However it is a royal pain in the arse when your stock of "useful
sometimes" carefully stored in carrier bags (reuse instead of rubbish)
are
suddenly found to be scattered everywhere because the bag has
disintegrated (as designed).

Further 20/20 hindsight suggests that with the major environmental issue
now being micro plastics, disintegrating carrier bags are making the
environment worse not better.

Grump.

Now back to tidying up the mess and rehoming my stash of cable ties.
I may even (eventually) get round to using a couple of cable ties which
is
what I set out to do some time ago.

Cheers

Dave R

I tend to tidy up my cable ties by sorting them into bundles
using....cable ties. I don't find carrier bags particularly useful for
storing stuff, I tend to use stacking boxes with screw top jars (glass or
plastic) for smaller bits.

Yeah, me too. And those little plastic chests of
4-5 shallow drawers intended for storing paper.