Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Better rates than a CD ?

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 18:09:57 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 14:23:50 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

Do you really think inflation is as low as the government says it is?

Do you have any evidence that it is not?

Just my grocery bill, the cost of energy, the cost of various
materials I buy, the cost of real estate/rents and the cost of
consumer goods,

My grocery bill is basically the same. I'm still paying
the same price for bread ($5.49 for two 32oz loaves) that I was
paying five years ago. Milk has not gone up. Fresh veg are
about the same. Grapes are a bit higher (0.50/#) as they're
shipped from south america this time of year. I still pay
$4.99 for a rotisserie chicken at Costco. That hasn't changed
for a decade. Salmon varies through the year between 7.99
and 9.99/lb; currently it's at 8.99. Dungeness crab is
up, mainly because the fishing season was cut short.

I am not seeing that here. Store brand bread was $1.50 a loaf, Now it
is $1.79. Meat his higher across the board with the possible exception
of chicken. Canned goods are up 15 or 20 cents a can. I do all the
shopping and I am in the store a few times a week.

Yes, lumber has gone up thanks to Trump's foolish tariffs,
for which you can blame the protectionist republicans.

I am not going to argue with you about that but the real issue is we
don't have the saw mill capacity. We shipped that all overseas. The
logs themselves are a glut on the market right now and logging is at a
standstill ... but wasn't that what the tree huggers wanted in the
first place?
With the wage demands people are placing on producers, that saw mill
capacity is not going to get better.

Real estate has been increasing every year since the
Clinton administration and is a function of supply-and-demand;
unrelated to inflation.

It still represents up to half of the budgets of many Americans and
that is inflation. Maybe you do not understand what most people think
inflation is. You may have some University of Chicago definition but
most people think it is the cost of living and your home is a big part
of that living cost.