Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default what's the opposite of "Obtainium"?

On Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 9:36:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 17:07:05 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Came across a lovely word describing all the materials you find
along the way, aka "salvage", thinggummies, doohickeys, junk, 'parts',
yard sale score, "it was just sitting there with a 'Free' sign", I
could use that for something some day - "Obtainium".

Now I'm wondering if there is an antonym, for when you have too
much obtainium and are downsizing. It's still good for something, but
you have no room for it, anymore.

Dumpster
We're going to be moving, it will be smaller, some of it can find
new homes, other is just too "specialized" as to be easily "rehomed".

SMBO is wondering why we have such a big house (3600ft^2) but I remind
her that she wants a formal dining room, a large kitchen and master
bedroom, and space for a lot of tools. We really don't need five
bedrooms but one is over the garage so doesn't really count.

Basements are hard to come by here. Hell, everything is hard to come
by now. A realtor told her that there were only 27 homes worth buying
in a neighboring county (don't know about ours). Three homes went up
for sale in our neighborhood and were sold before the sign was
planted.

My son is a real estate agent in Las Vegas. Bottom line is that if you don't
put in a full asking price, cash offer with no contingencies your offer won't
make the cut. Much of it is Covid related. Most people just don't want to
sell at this time. He said that the normal 6 months worth of inventory is
down to about 2 weeks. I'm hearing the same thing about my area.

The new normal is for the seller to put a date/time in the listing stating when
all offers will be reviewed. Anyone interested puts in their offer, the seller and
listing agent sit around a table at that date/time and pick the one they like the
best.

My son just (this weekend) signed a contract to buy a house that he is going to
turn into an Airbnb. It never really even hit the market. He spoke to the listing
agent as soon as he got the alert and the agent said "Write up your offer and
I'll get it right over to the seller for his signature." (My son already owns a house
that is a full-time Airbnb and he basically hasn't had an empty night since
November 2020. It covers all his expenses and still returns some profit.)

There's a trick to this "full asking price, cash offer with no contingencies"
game. The laws, at least where he lives, heavily favor the buyer. Even though
a buyer might not put a home inspection in the contract as a contingency,
there are usually words related to "due-diligence" in the contract. Essentially,
the buyer has (typically) 48 hours to get out of the contract for any reason.
What my son did was have one of his inspector friends "on call" to be available
within 48 hours of the contract signing.

His friend inspected the house and found some issues. My son sent a repair
request to the sellers agent along with a request to extend the due-diligence
period until "both buyer and seller agree that the repair request has been fulfilled".
If the seller didn't agree to the request (he did) they could have negotiated further
or my son could have walked away. Now it's just a matter of having the repairs
done to my son's satisfaction or he can still get out of the contract. And of course
there's the final walkthrough just before closing to ensure that the property is
still the "same" as what he has contracted to buy.

It's a tough market right now, no matter where you live. It helps if you know how
the game is played.