Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tricky Dicky[_4_] Tricky Dicky[_4_] is offline

Default Couple of quick electrical questions - lubrication and disposal

On Monday, 19 April 2021 at 13:38:15 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
Firstly disposal.
I have some memory that if you were to chuck away an electrical appliance
you should first cut the plug off.
However a cut off moulded plug itself seems dodgy as it could be plugged
in and have a live connection.
Take the fuse out helps but kitkat wrapper.
So just put the whole thing in the electricals bin at the tip?

Secondly, I have a 4 way extension lead up high under a roof in the dry,
but outside.
It is getting a bit stiff for plugging in and out, which I assume may be
oxidisation of the connectors over time (years).
Is there a suitable lubricant?
That is, something electrically safe but not just a drying solution like
WD40.

TIA

Dave R

Google electrolube, Farnell and the like stock them. You will get a smaller quantity maybe at your local model shop, model train enthusiasts use it to lubricate pickups, but may not be any cheaper.

Richard