Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Couple of quick electrical questions - lubrication and disposal

On Monday, 19 April 2021 at 13:38:15 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
Firstly disposal.
I have some memory that if you were to chuck away an electrical appliance
you should first cut the plug off.

I cut the cable off as close to the appliance as possible.
I then remove the plug unscrewing the individual conductors and keep the cable ,
normally keep the plug too and put them in a safe places where I can't find them when needed ;-)

However a cut off moulded plug itself seems dodgy as it could be plugged
in and have a live connection.
Take the fuse out helps but kitkat wrapper.

yes again take the fuse out and store it for later use.
You can't aviod such practices.
A friend was at a bus stop once, a lad near her gave her a free kitkat bar but he kept
the silver foil , I think he was off to chase a dragon with it, rather than put it in a plug.

So just put the whole thing in the electricals bin at the tip?

could ask at the tip , or check a recycle web site, if you really insist on throwing such
valuble stuff as mains cable and plugs away ;-0

Secondly, I have a 4 way extension lead up high under a roof in the dry,
but outside.
It is getting a bit stiff for plugging in and out, which I assume may be
oxidisation of the connectors over time (years).

Or it could be the plastic becoming brittle and not giving way when you insert the plug pins.
Or as you say springs or pins , not sure any lubricant is a good idea though so won;t advise any.
I'd ttry replacing the socket/plug.

Is there a suitable lubricant?
That is, something electrically safe but not just a drying solution like
WD40.

TIA

Dave R