Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery[_3_] Ralph Mowery[_3_] is offline

Default Better rates than a CD ?

In article ,
lid says...
All of that is a very good approach. About the only thing we do differently
at my house is that we invest about 95% in stocks, mostly US stocks but a
bit of international stuff sneaks in now and then, and about 3-4% in bonds
with the rest in a money market account so that we have a pool from which
to buy more stocks. Mutual funds aren't a bad choice, but the low risk and
low returns didn't do it for us. Lastly, CDs were decent back in the first
half of the 1980s, but they'd be a foolish choice in the last 20 years or
so.

For those that want to take time to follow the stocks I agree that the
mutual funds do not pay as well, but they do pay very good compaired to
other things and I do not have to spend time trying to pick the stocks.
I do try to pick the funds that have a low overhead cost. I still
average around 10 % on the stocks on the long run and lately about
double that or so. One only did about 8 % while the others were over
double that, so that fund got swapped for another.

I don't do the bonds mainly because I do not want to try and understand
them. So know nothing about them. From what I understand, they are
about as bad as the CDs over the last number of years for the most part.