Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default Better rates than a CD ?

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 11:14:39 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 02:15:36 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

You sound like the folks described above who are unable to manage their
money. That "good sized check" is costing you.

OK let's see how much it is costing me. Say I got $5000 back and it
was put in there evenly over a year. I put this in my financial
calculator using $416.67 a month for 12 months at .25%. (what my bank
pays) I lost a whopping $5.77.

Like Ralph said, if you're using .25% as your rate you're doing it wrong.
You can't swing a dead cat without hitting investment opportunities that
pay 5%, 8%, 10%, and if you're willing to play with stocks, 15-25% and up.

That is pretty cheap insurance against having a windfall towards the
end of the year that blew out my withholding and got me stuck in
paying quarterlies or worse, some kind of penalty.
Said another way that is a Mocha Venti Frappachino starbucks.
I can afford it. I have plenty of cash on hand.

Very conservatively, I'd say your $5000 refund is costing you at least
$500. You have plenty of cash on hand so $500 isn't going to affect you,
but I'd hate to see others follow your bad example if they didn't know any
better.