Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default aluminm bearing for pivot?

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 00:14:48 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

I am making a swing-away bike carrier to fit in trailer hitch
reciever. With everything shut down I need to use what I have on hand.
Can I use 6063 aluminm (rigid aluminum conduit) as a pivot bearing? I
plan on pressing it into a steel sleave. Loasding will be under 200
lbs at 30 inches - bearing length 1 1/4 inches - shaft 5/8 to 3/4
inch. The arms are made of 3/16" wall 1 1/4 inch square tube. and I
don't really want to just bear the load steel to steel on the 3/16
inch wall thickness or a steel tube on the pin. Not sure what my pin
material will be yet untill I get through my "ends" box on Monday
would be good if I could find some chrome shaft like a shock
absorber/strut shaft or hydraulic cyl rod

6061 makes for a terrible bearing.

Use delrin or the like. One can also buy pre made delrin bearings for
small dollars from McMaster.

Joe Gwinn