Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Holmes[_2_] Chris Holmes[_2_] is offline

Default Cine Editors

NY wrote:
"nightjar" wrote in message
Standard 8 was produced as a cheaper alternative to 16mm for home movies.
It was made by splitting 16mm film down the middle and doubling the number
of holes. Thus, it only had holes along one side.

Just like Super 8 does.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...and_super8.png

compares the two formats and
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nd_super16.png

shows 16 mm - and also the single-perforation Super 16 format which has a
wider frame size (for widescreen) and is what is usually used nowadays if
film is used for TV.

You can often tell Standard 8 film when it's projected, because as it is
returned from the processing house, there is almost always a tell-tale
light-coloured flash half way through where the last bit of the film has got
fogged when the camera was opened to turn the film over.

I remember my dad knew someone at work who had a 16 mm projector, and he
borrowed it once so he could project his old Standard 8 film (Dad only had a
Super 8 projector) - because the sprockets of Standard 8 matched 16 mm (with
an extra sprocket which was ignored by the projector). OK, you see two
consecutive frames, and one half of the projected image is white (no film on
that side!) but it's a lot better that nothing as a quick-and-dirty solution

Thanks everyone.

As usual, much useful info!

--
Chris