Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Able[_2_] Peter Able[_2_] is offline

Default One for Bill. Wierd aerial issue

On 16/04/2021 19:29, Peter Able wrote:
On 16/04/2021 17:20, Andrew wrote:
Just noticed this thread on the AVFORUMS site.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/iss...erial.2352361/

I didn't know there was an 'omni-directional' freeview aerial.

read the thread and look at the photos.

The elderly neighbours have an external aerial on quite a high
external pole so they presumably cannot be in a strong signal
area.

Have a look at the manufacturer's page:

https://www.philex.com/products/prod...l-tv-aerial-2/

And in particular, try clicking the "specifications" and then, the "Call
Our Sales Department" or "Technical Support" links.Â* That'll tell you
something.

Note the claims that it is

"High gain €“ suitable for weak signal areas"

and

"Receives all locally available digital TV signals"

and

"suitable for most signal strength areas"

OK OK, we get it !

Note that "according to Amazon,Â* it is omnidirectional, then the high
gain refers to an amplifier?Â* Hence the power supply

If it is omnidirectional why the triangular marker on the "dome"

How does it recognise the polarity?

Just sayin' !

As regards the neighbour, the implication is that he has marginal
reception ("but not 100%") anyway.Â* I wonder if this is the curse of
recent channel changes ("their TV reception on certain channels has been
really poor") exacerbated by radiation from an amplified then amplified
again neighbour directly in the suffering neighbour's beam direction?

On the other hand, the supplied PSU may be radiating enough hash to tip
the balance for the neighbour.

Being a skinflint with a Group A aerial (weak signal from Crystal
Palace)Â* I've had to tweak the big beam in all three dimensions to
receive the two reallocated signals reliably.

Just speculation in the absence of more data !

PA

Yes those sort of aerials only sort of work on caravans and the like. Thy
can be omni directional and of no particular polarisation, but that
forgets
one thing, That thing is that channels are shared and the idea of
directional aerials is to discriminate against the ones you don't want, not
always just boost the signal. Also in my view if there are strong signals
about even out of band. Many amplified aerials produce mixing products
putting nasty signals into the wanted band that make signal quality bad. I
have also had personal experience of mast head amps when used with aerials
that have an open circuit dipole, ie not a folded design, being zapped
regularly by lightning over a mile away. Hopefully they now make them
better
than the Antiference tin can ones we used to use!

Brian

Reading more of the external thread the implication is that it is a
toss-up between Crystal Palace and Sandy. With the neighbour and -
previously, the OP - apparently using contractor yagis and getting away
with it - and the latter in his loft - they must have quite a good location.

If it is not easy for you to navigate the manufacturer's web-site,
Brian, the links "Call Our Sales Department" or "Technical Support" both
lead to a 404 error. Enough said !

PA