Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Old School Drywaller

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 08:15:53 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, April 15, 2021 at 8:15:33 AM UTC-4, Dave in SoTex wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

I know and old electrician/developer/commercial property manager who
covered the floors in the house he was building with roofing paper
during construction. Well, it was probably 1/3 tape. The very last
thing done was the floors. When he was ready to do the floors he
ripped up all the paper and there was pristeen concrete ready for the
flooring. The paper more than half filled a large roll off
construction dumpster. (big house)

I've done that with Rosen paper... and if there are finished floors
there is a cardboard product that comes in rolls that offers some dent
protection too. A recent renovation I visited while in process had Ram
Board covering the floors. https://www.americanfloormats.com/ramboard/

Years ago my local Sam's Club allowed me to collect dozens of
cardboard dividers used to separate certain products stacked on pallets.
Taped together they protected the clients flooring during tearout,
drywall replacement, painting, and general foot traffic.

Dave in SoTex

A few months ago I bought a 4 x 8 sheet of that white bumpy plastic
wall board, typically used for cheap bathroom upgrades. This stuff:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/PLAS-TEX...8615/311314398

While in HD, I cut it in half (4x4) to make it easier to get it into my van.
As it turned out, the material wasn't going to work for the project I
had in mind (heavy duty shelf liner) so it's been sitting in my garage.

A few weeks ago the town had to come into my house to fix a drain
issue and needed access to the clean out in my basement bathroom.
Suspecting that they were going to make a mess on the floor with their
camera, snake and other equipment, I trimmed the plastic wallboard to
fit the area where they needed to work and laid it down, smooth side up.

I was right, they made a mess, but clean up was as easy as carrying the
pieces outside and hosing them off. This process was repeated when
they came back a week later to install a CIPP sleeve. Again, cleanup
was a breeze.

Now I have to decide whether to hang onto it or toss it. It would probably
make a good surface for large glue-ups, painting projects, etc.

Toss it? I was thinking of starting a GoFundMe page to buy a sheet of
plywood.