Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default *Five* wire overhead mains cables

In article , Peter Able wrote:
On 16/04/2021 15:57, NY wrote:
I'm used to seeing three-wire (three phases) overhead mains wiring from
poles along a street. Sometimes you get four-wire (three phases plus
neutral). Modern wiring is a single larger cable which is the three (or
four) wires twisted together. In each case, two wires (between two
phases, or one phase and neutral) go to each house, with a different
phase for each house or group of houses.

But I'm mystified about five-wire mains. As far as I could see, all
five wires were the same thickness and were each fastened to the same
type of insulator on the wooden poles - so probably not three-wire
mains and telephone.

What would the fifth wire be used for?

Telephones - well it is around here.

PA

In the Uk you can't mix mains and telephone. % wire 3 pases, neutral &
earth.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England