Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery[_3_] Ralph Mowery[_3_] is offline

Default Better rates than a CD ?

In article ,
says...

If you're fortunate to be able to deposit larger sums, and qualify for
membership in a credit union, many credit unions offer both regular and
"Jumbo" money market savings accounts (MMSA) that equal or beat your
0.4%. Many times the rate on the regular MMSAs escalates as the total
deposited meets a higher balance threshold. Right now, my credit union
pays 0.5% on "Jumbo" MMSAs, which require a minimum deposit of $100K.
You can make a certain number of withdrawals each month from a MMSA
without penalty, as opposed to what happens if you cash in a CD
prematurely. Just as with bank account deposit protection from the
FDIC, you get credit union deposit protection from the National Credit
Union Association (NCUA). I believe both follow the same policies for
maximum deposit amounts that are insured.

Right now my credit union is paying .5% on most CDs and some other
accounts. I would not even crank up the car and go to them to set it up
at that rate.

The checking and money market accounts psy some interist but I only keep
a small ammount in them. Usually enought to pay off things like the
property tax, insurance and a few other things that may come due during
the year that are around 1 to 2 thousand dollars. I do keep 2 or 3
thousand in the money market as 'mad money' incase I find something I
want to buy.

In about a week or less I can get the money out of the IRA or some stock
that I am playing with if I need money to cover some unexpected expense.