Posted to uk.d-i-y
SH[_4_] SH[_4_] is offline

Default ?B?UmU6IEhvdyAmJCVewqMqJiEgaGFyZCBjYW4gaXQgYmUgdG 8gc2VjdXJl?=?Q?ly_destroy_a_hard_disc=3f=3f=3f=3f?=

On 16/04/2021 09:35, Chris Green wrote:
SH wrote:
On 15/04/2021 21:17, Chris Green wrote:
SH wrote:
[snip silly attempts to destroy a disk]

Really, why bother. Unless you're a known millionaire then no one
cares what's on your hard disks.

Thats really quite a very naieve position to take:

1. Many browsers now "offer" to save your name, address, phone numbers
and even usernames and passwords for all your web accounts. So its
clearly stored somewhere on that disc

I don't store any personal informaition in my browser.

2. Your email client will have a PST file containing *all* your emails,
email addresses, email contents etc.

So what, what's interesting in my E-Mails?

3. Online banking, online pensions etc whose web site addresses all in
the web browser history at least so its easy to work out who you have a
bankign relationship with

No they're not. I have to tell anyone who pays me money "who you have a
bankign relationship with" anyway.

4. Your own personal data on that disc like DoB, Nat Ins No, Name and
address means a fraudster cam commit fraud in your "name" like loans,
credit cards or SIM swap fraud or even empy your bank account(s)

They're encrypted.

... and it *still* won't be worth anyone spending a lot of money
searching for information on lots of disks on the offchance they'll
find something useful somewhere.

Can anyone show us real evidence that there are people out there
searching through old hard disks looking for this sort of data?

https://uhra.herts.ac.uk/bitstream/h...pdf?sequence=1

Although it is focused at memory cards, the same principles applies to
HDDs....