Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spam blocking

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 16:46:48 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 12:24:10 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I gave up marking calls spam on my Ooma after realizing the numbers are endless.
Now I just pick up and hang up if it's not a known caller.

If a home phone with caller ID, you don't need to pick up to know. Most
of these junk calls are obvious when you look at the name on the
display. Often a city and state like "CENTER TX". Those are almost all
junk calls. There's also TOLL FREE CALL.

I don't know why there are no CID-name based blockers. That could really
help, especially with pattern matching. "* TX" could block a lot of
those calls.

You live in TX, so yes of course many of your calls appear to come from TX.
I don't live in TX but I use a TX number, so many/most of my junk calls
also appear to come from TX. Scammers know you're much more likely to
answer a call when you recognize the Area Code, and even more so when you
recognize the exchange.

Bottom line, a CID name based blocker would be ineffective. It's way too
easy to spoof the CID info.

I used to get calls from my own number back when I looked at Caller
IDs.