Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spam blocking

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 07:34:23 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 05:26:13 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 12:24:10 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 4/14/21 7:06 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

[snip]

I gave up marking calls spam on my Ooma after realizing the numbers
are
endless.
Now I just pick up and hang up if it's not a known caller.

If a home phone with caller ID, you don't need to pick up to know. Most
of these junk calls are obvious when you look at the name on the
display. Often a city and state like "CENTER TX". Those are almost all
junk calls. There's also TOLL FREE CALL.

I don't know why there are no CID-name based blockers. That could really
help, especially with pattern matching. "* TX" could block a lot of
those calls.

That national no-call list was nice - when it still worked.

Yes it was. I remember when that service was started. Almost no junk
calls.

I never stopped getting calls from local businesses in spite of being
on the national and Florida no call list. Reporting them did not seem
to do much. I am not sure what loophole they exploited but I never
heard about any of them getting it trouble.

I was pretty aggressive about trying to fill out that form but the
real scammers must have key words they look for because no matter how
long you talk or how you work around the questions they figure out you
are harvesting the information you need and they hang up.

You must have ****ed that up. All you have to do is agree
that you need what they are trying to flog. They have to
tell you who they are for you to be able to show up in
their store or pay for what they are flogging on the phone.

It depends on the scam. Sometimes they just want you to give up some
personal information and they are not really selling you anything.

But you were talking about local hardware businesses.

No point in reporting the other ones, they are calling from outside
the country and there is nothing the FTC can do about them.

I said local business. I never said hardware.
They usually want to inspect my roof, ice pick my air conditioner,
sell me a ticket to the policeman's ball or something.
Nobody ever says where they are calling from.