Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkieİ Tekkieİ is offline

Default Is more expensive better? Is even more expensive not even as good?

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 21:32:42 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to
digest...

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 17:37:31 -0400, micky
wrote:

Is more expensive better? Is even more expensive not even as good?

Still working on my lean mixture. It's a good excuse to buy tools, even
if the tools cost more than taking it to a shop. ;-)

But I don't want to waste money either.

Which to buy:

https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Va...SFQ/ref=sr_1_1
Costs $17.50 and looks just like

https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-Vac...NAK/ref=sr_1_8
which costs $25.99

When two things look exactly the same but one is 49% more expensive, are
they the same, or is the more expensive one somehow better?

OTOH, if they are the same, how can there be such a big difference in
price?**

One guy's just hosing you more than the other.

He should get a Snap-On.

Then there is
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-FIX-780...CL/ref=sr_1_27
which is a little more money $31.31 and looks A LOT nicer and has a
famous brand name.

I'd never pay $0.10 for the Bosch name

Yeah they swirled down the toilet.

yet it has fewer attachements, just 3 (counting the one already in the
hose) instead of 6. Why would anyone buy it and then have to look for
connectors separately?

Buy the $17.50 one if you need one.

He doesn't but what hell Jeff Bezos will be happy.

(In addition, the EVAC service port for this car is hidden under the
air-cleaner box, and since I only have one car, I don't want to take it
apart to see what the port looks like, then put the car back together
until I get the vacuum tester.

**Yes, I've seen that before. 3 or 4 months ago bought a 24" smart LG
TV from Abt, in Chicago, and it was about 200 when other mail-order
stores wanted $320 for the exact same model. I'm still trying to figure
out how they can be so much cheaper, why I never heard of them before
(even though I lived in Chicago for 6 years), and if I should look into
buying everything from them.

I thought that even without illegal price fixing, prices tended to be
about the same, and certainly not 60% of another store's price

(I didn't even thing Abt was their name. I thought it was an
abbreviation of something. But it turns out there are 13 famous people
in wikip with the family name Abt! Not to mention the non-famous
people.)

--
Tekkie