Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Is more expensive better? Is even more expensive not even as good?

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 5:37:51 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
Is more expensive better? Is even more expensive not even as good?

Still working on my lean mixture. It's a good excuse to buy tools, even
if the tools cost more than taking it to a shop. ;-)

But I don't want to waste money either.

Which to buy:

https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Va...SFQ/ref=sr_1_1
Costs $17.50 and looks just like

https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-Vac...NAK/ref=sr_1_8
which costs $25.99

When two things look exactly the same but one is 49% more expensive, are
they the same, or is the more expensive one somehow better?

OTOH, if they are the same, how can there be such a big difference in
price?**

Then there is
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-FIX-780...CL/ref=sr_1_27
which is a little more money $31.31 and looks A LOT nicer and has a
famous brand name.

yet it has fewer attachements, just 3 (counting the one already in the
hose) instead of 6. Why would anyone buy it and then have to look for
connectors separately?

Maybe you can find the same China thing on Ebay for even less. Advance and Autozone
lend tools for free, maybe they have what you need.

(In addition, the EVAC service port for this car is hidden under the
air-cleaner box, and since I only have one car, I don't want to take it
apart to see what the port looks like, then put the car back together
until I get the vacuum tester.

What's an EVAC service port?

Not sure what you expect to test with the pressure gauge. Could test the fuel
pump I guess. I suppose if that's not putting out enough pressure, it could cause
a lean condition. Fuel filter been changed? Testing the pressure at the intake
manifold, not sure that you'd
see anything there that shows you have a leak, unless it's a a whopper. Me I'd
be looking for a smoke tester to inject smoke into the intake. BTW, no one has
asked, how many miles on this car?