Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Astonishing Dyson puff piece on the BBC

In article ,
Robin wrote:
Dyson's case against the EU was that it purported to tell consumers how
energy efficient and effective at cleaning a cleaner was in use when it
measured them only when clean and empty. Read the link I posted or the
press release from the final EU court

https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/jcms/p1_1430408/fr/

Bear in mind that big EU manufacturers are very much inside the tent
when the policy and technical details of such measures are prepared.
All of course with only the best interests of EU consumers in mind.

If you set a limit on power consumption, decent makers will produce a
machine that sucks (works) OK. Others won't. Why would you buy one which
didn't work?

But that still may mean that the best is not as good as one of equal
efficiency, but a little more powerful. The rules should have been about
efficiency, not maximum power. We don't set a maximum power for washing
machines, dishwashers, microwaves, light bulbs, etc., but grade them on
efficiency and even ban the sale of the less efficient models. What
makes vacuum cleaners different?