Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spam blocking

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 11:01:11 -0400, Retirednoguilt
wrote:

On 4/13/2021 4:03 PM, Tekkie? wrote:

Hi all, I have reached the capabilities of my Panasonic cordless phones for
blocking spam. (250). I have Verizon landline (not FIOS) so Nomorobo will not
work. Questions follow:

Buy new cordless phones with greater capacity?

If so recommend a brand: Panasonic - V-tech - ?

Buy a separate call blocker? e.g. CPR V5000

If so recommend a brand:

Other comments:

I assume you don't have caller I.D. If your line is purely residential,
consider letting all calls go to voice mail/answering machine possibly
screening them as the messages are left. Never pick up or return the
spam calls. We've never had a live person spam caller leave a message.

The above strategy may or may not be a practical solution if the line is
used for business purposes.

If you do have caller I.D. our panasonic wireless system allows you to
sort incoming calls from numbers in the phone's directory into as many
as 5 categories and you can assign a different ring tone to each
category. We have all numbers from callers we consider "important"
assigned to one ringtone and all other numbers to another. Important
calls get answered. All the others are left to go to voice mail. About
90% of all those calls are either robo calls that sneak through NOMOROBO
and Comcast and leave their recorded junk, or are live person spam calls
and no message is left.

Most of these seem to hang up before my answering machine even picks
up. If not they won't leave a message most of the time.
I only have one phone here that rings and I turn that ringer off a lot
or set it so low I have to be right there to hear it. The first thing
I usually hear is the message people are leaving, if they leave one.