Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Lightning strike.

In article , Rod Speed
scribeth thus
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

On another group, I heard about a lightning strike to a house, via the TV
aerial. Aerial went to a DA. Seemed it burnt out all the house wiring and
every appliance in it. Requiring the owners to move out for months while
it was all sorted. Seems it also travelled to other houses in the street
too via the mains and caused much damage there too. Was rather surprised
to read this. I've seen a TV destroyed - but not so much extra damage.

Bet that story is utterly mangled. Cant see how a lightning
strike can take out all the house wiring unless its a very simple
and small house wiring in which case it cant take months to
fix unless there is a severe labor shortage in that area etc.

It can and does in a direct full on strike it causes the wiring to act
like a fuse and expand, more like explode!, and it will blow the plaster
off the walls which can take a lot of time to put right seeing it might
have done other damage like a possible fire!...

--
Tony Sayer