Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawnmower rope easy to pull

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 15:18:40 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 4/13/21 1:11 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Actually it is a lot of skin off their nose. They lose a day, maybe
two and these guys are usually booked all day, up to 10 hours, 6 days
a week. If you start missing days, you lose customers. They still have
to pay their guys so it is money out of their pocket. That is why they
pay $8000-10,000 for a real mower.

I would say it is more like 10 to 20 thousand for the 'real mower'. I
just bought a JD x590 for about $ 8000 on sale and I would still
classify it as a home owner mower. Even the next one up the x700 series
starting around $ 10,000 looked to me to be a home owner mower with the
possiable use to work a small ( say an acre or so) garden.

With the turn around time of a week to several weeks to get the mowers
repaired, the lawn services need a mower they can depend on and have it
serviced in the off seson months.

For 10-20 thousand bucks, you can cover a whole lot of Mexican man hours
for cutting your grass for you......for he next 50 or so years, I'd
think ;-)

Typically the boss drives the big mower and the rest of the crew
blows, trims hedges and weed eats. We have a couple of crews in the
neighborhood who try to get several yards together so they can just
go. Sometime there is a deal to be had if they just want "one more" to
make it a day.
I did see the longest serving company go from one smoking old mower
and a couple of guys in a pickup to being a huge company with a ton of
new equipment and a bunch of guys. That guy is a businessman but he
still runs the big mower.
The guys who own lawn services here won't work here. The various trade
contractors are the same way. They say neighbors tend to be more
demanding and less likely to expect to pay the going rate.
It is not worth the hassle.