Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawnmower rope easy to pull

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 00:23:40 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"TimR" wrote in message
On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 8:49:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On M
The Surplus Center in Lincoln, NE sells engines.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engines/.
Also Home Depot, Lowes, and, Harbor Freight of course. NO idea if
replacing just the engine
would be worth your time.I

It sounds like there are three ways to go. I just got my tax refund so I
can afford to buy something good.

Anyway, I can buy electric, I can buy decent gas, or I can buy a new
engine that fits.

I like my mower and of the three I'd prefer the engine solution, if the
cost were reasonable and I could get an exact fit - my experience with
exact replacements has been that I don't seem to understand the word
"exact". It doesn't always mean unbolt the old one and bolt in the new
one. Lots of times it means unbolt the old one and do a bunch of
machining to make the new one work. If it matters, it's a Toro Recycler,
6.5 HP. I looked at some engine prices and they cost as much as a new
mower, but i wasn't sure what engine would fit mine.

Corded electric? sounds good, but I know dragging that cord would get
old. Electrics in general run from 3/4 HP up to about 1.3, and I'm not
sure that will handle my grass, and rechargeable batteries have a
lifespan. I like the idea of an electric but I'm leaning away. .

What brand of gas mower do lawn companies use?

Or do they just wear them out in a year and replace anyway, so it doesnt
matter?

Yep, and you pay for that when you employ them. No skin off their nose when
it dies.

Actually it is a lot of skin off their nose. They lose a day, maybe
two and these guys are usually booked all day, up to 10 hours, 6 days
a week. If you start missing days, you lose customers. They still have
to pay their guys so it is money out of their pocket. That is why they
pay $8000-10,000 for a real mower.
I have 3 golf course superintendents and 2 lawn service owners here in
this neighborhood. I know a bit about how this stuff goes.