Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: more PC insanity

On 12/04/2021 15:18, wrote:
On 12/04/2021 14:57, Davidm wrote:
(or other
language relevant to the *county* they are in).

Err, would that be Geordie, Yorkshire, Cornish ... ?
-sorry, I couldn't resist ;-)

Back in the day - and its still slightly true today - everyone had
English they spoke at home and English they were taught at school.

Standard RP 'upper middle class' English, which, though mocked, was
*universally understood*.

And there is a world of difference between a different lilt (Welsh
people speaking English), different pronunciation - Mancunians saying
'uz' instead of 'us' - or a different language altogether, like
Glaswegian....

(I remember my Norfolk grandfather refused to accept the French invaders
pronunciation. The car lived in the 'garridge', not a poncey 'garage')...