Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Cine Editors

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 12/04/2021 16:10, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I Think you only got acetate in super 8, but that Fuji made their own
single 8 cassettes and also super8 but both were Polyester. That would
explain the fact that there were some super 8 films in the other
material,
it all came from Fuji.
The very small sprocket holes in super/single 8 I was surprised ever
had
enough grip to move the film. Of course it was done to increase the
picture
area and also there was a much finer gap between frames as well.
Normal 8 mill was in fact slit 16mmm with extra holes in it.
Brian

One difference that I don't think anyone has mentioned is that super-8
could have (or maybe always had) a magnetic sound stripe. Standard-8
didn't. If you had sound it was on a separate tape.

Super 8 didn't *always* have a sound stripe. I think it was possible to buy
film stock that already had a mag stripe onto which synchronous sound could
be recorded in the camera. It was possible send away a completed and edited
film, to have a stripe coated onto it. You could then record your own
soundtrack and commentary onto it: many projectors such as my dad's Eumig
could record as well as save sound.

Editing film with sound track is not very successful because the sound head
has to be spaced some distance from the gate in order to damp out the
intermittent motion of the gate: dad's projector had a heavy flywheel on the
take-up roller by the sound head. Because of this separation, if you cut the
film and rejoin it, there will be a gap of a couple of seconds between the
cut in the picture and the corresponding cut in the sound.

I hadn't realised that Standard 8 couldn't have a sound stripe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_...and_super8.png
(which may of course be wrong!) shows areas on both Standard 8 and Super 8
where a stripe could be placed.