Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing Leatherette Surface

The dab fm one I bought a year back has kind of removable rubber bumpers all
round that can be replaced. I think the build quality is very good, but as I
say, its not made in the uk. It does have a dry and rechargeable battery
switch and comes with a pretty good charger/mains unit that does not create
huge amounts of interference unlike some of the others I've tried.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Clive Arthur" wrote in message
On 12/04/2021 21:02, newshound wrote:
On 12/04/2021 18:24, Clive Arthur wrote:
I sometimes repair and refurbish Roberts DAB radios as a sort of hobby.
I do a few minutes a day while waiting for simulations to finish, or
just thinking. There are a few fairly common faults and I have the gear.

These are covered in a sort of leatherette, I suppose. This is of
appalling quality and is usually very badly worn and torn, even after a
couple of years of just sitting on a shelf. This is good, it makes them
inexpensive.

My "real" analogue Roberts from the 60's still looked good after 30
years.

Yes, I have a pre-DAB FM one and an old MW/LW RT1 from Harrods both of
which are good. The problem was with the RD-50 and RD-60 models. This
one is typical...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roberts-R...53.m1438.l2649

...some are much worse. I had one which was an expensive gift, and after
a couple or three years it looked like that, though it had hardly been
touched. Roberts deny it's a manufacturing fault, but they're clearly
lying. Even some of the circuitry looks like it's been designed by
someone on work experience.

They lost their way, I don't know if they're any good nowadays.

--
Cheers
Clive