Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT: more PC insanity

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 11:23:15 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

The pretty well universal requirement for GCSE English Language should
ensure that students and workers can spell use grammar reasonably
correctly (if they make the effort) and should not be tested during
other exams.

Just as well, otherwise I would have been well screwed in every subject!

Likewise.

Me too.

The thing is, 'some people' can just absorb this sort of (often)
un intuitive (eg, non phonetic) spelling whist others can't.

Yeah, its just the way the different memorys work.

You see it with scientists too. The biologists will tell
you about a specific paper with the names of the
authors, those from the hard sciences don't do that.

When I question our daughter (or the Mrs) *why* they can't remember
the route to somewhere they have been once, they ask me why I still
can't spell words I must have written thousands of times.

The reason I haven't 'remembered' is in many cases the same
reason I couldn't remember the mobile phone number I've
had for ~15 years (till very recently) it's because I didn't need
to because there were often ways of gleaning such that were
more reliable (spell checkers, phone books etc).

Not convinced about that with remembering routes,
its just effortless remembering the route for me.

I was stunned when a mate of mine asked if he could come with
me in his own car when I said I was going to visit the place I had
worked for for decades out of town after it had been taken over
by a different operation, because one of his relos worked for the
new operation and he wanted to visit him. I chose to leave earlier
than he would have preferred and I was stunned when he said
he would have to come back at the same time I did because
he wasn't sure he could get back to town in his own car by himself.

When I did English GCE, it was a split lit/lang course, where the lit
section was all essay based and done as course work (and at least 2 of
the essays had to be done under exam conditions). All the language parts
were in the final exams. Use of language and grammar were important in
all parts, but spelling was only marked in the language exam part.

I think I may have had similar in English 'O' level and
whilst I enjoyed the classes and got average marks,
I would often be let down by 'bad spelling'.

I didn't even notice that british english and american
english used s and z differently in words until spelling
checkers showed up and I was always a very big reader.

But what is bad spelling but an inability to remember
a sequence of letters, some of which don't follow any
tools used to take away any ambiguity?

And why does it matter if you spell it color or colour,
its always obvious what word you mean with that one.

And yes, I do notice when people use draw
when they mean drawer in social media posts
and never ever get that wrong myself.

When reading something (on a subject I have some knowledge of)
I will often spot anything that either doesn't make sense but may
well completely miss spelling mistakes on *some* words.

If I think that anyone else reading such might then
question the 'professionalism' of the writer (say on
their web / sales site) then I might feed such back in
case they might like to adjust what they had written.

The last was the Odroid N2+ I bought as the host for my Home
Assistant where the advert suggested that it 'came with' a part
in the 'bundle' when it actually did not (well, not included in the
price), making it slightly misleading / confusing. I mentioned this
in general pre sale correspondence and they confirmed it wasn't
as clear as it could be and they would feed it back to the marketing
/ web boys (not that they seem to have changed it yet). ;-)

https://www.odroid.co.uk/Home-Automa...roduct_id=1058

"What's in the bundle

Black Metal powder-coated case
ODROID N2+ with 4GByte RAM
eMMC Card storage with Home Assistant pre-installed
RTC backup battery
Power adapter (12V/2A)

Storage 1 x eMMC connector 1 x microSD slot (DS/HS
modes up to UHS-I SDR104) - eMMC cARD Preinstalled"

Except, no eMMC card is included in the 'price' bundle at all so
maybe the headline price should read 'Starting from and the price
of the smallest card'? However, I don't think you can complete
the order without selecting at least one from the list of capacities.