Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT: more PC insanity

Spike wrote
Robin wrote

I wonder if Hull and other universities have consulted potential
employers here and abroad. With English now the language of
business as well as science graduates from Hull might be at a
disadvantage in the jobs market compared with those from
China, India etc who can spell and write clearly.

Some 50 years ago a young Danish aeronautical engineer came to visit
our lab to discuss a problem of mutual interest, and attend the same
conference in London that we were going to. After the conference was
over we took him along to a pub. During the course of the evening I
commented that his English was very good. He put this down to the
best technical and scientific books and journals being written in English,
and if you wanted to progress you had to learn the language so they
could be read and understood.

With our dutch immigrants, their decent english was due to
the fact that hardly anyone produces much in the way of TV
programs in dutch, so they learned english that way.

Their accents could be a real problem tho.

If British universities are going to turn out educated
scientists and engineers that are otherwise semi-illiterate,
then the source of leading information will shift elsewhere

Bull**** it will with the language used.

and the country will sink that much lower.

Mindless silly stuff.