Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT: more PC insanity

On 12/04/2021 11:22, Robin wrote:
On 12/04/2021 10:03, Steve Walker wrote:
On 12/04/2021 09:44, wrote:
From "The Week":
University tutors are being told not to mark down work for spelling
mistakes because insisting on correct English could be seen as
€śhomogenous north European, white, male, elite€ť. The Times says several
institutions are adopting €śinclusive assessments€ť and Hull University
says it will €śchallenge the status quo€ť by dropping the requirement for
a high level of written and spoken English.

I have long thought it wrong to mark down for spelling and grammar,
except in languages. Exams/assessments are for candidates to demonstrate
a clear understanding and ability in their chosen subjects, not to test
their knowledge of a different subject. Why should someone be marked
down in Physics, for poor spelling, when they are showing an excellent
grasp of the subject?

The pretty well universal requirement for GCSE English Language should
ensure that students and workers can spell use grammar reasonably
correctly (if they make the effort) and should not be tested during
other exams.

I wonder if Hull and other universities have consulted potential
employers here and abroad. With English now the language of business as
well as science graduates from Hull might be at a disadvantage in the
jobs market compared with those from China, India etc who can spell and
write clearly.

When Karoun Chandouk joined the Sky F1 commentary team, it was noticeable
that he was the only one who knew that the correct plural of 'apex; was
'apices'.

Its stupid to force all uni students to care about crap like that.

I have noticed that no one uses the plural cases of verbs. I think its
these pidgin spiking wogs which is the problem.;-)

And 'with' mas morphed via 'wiv' into ...'iv and then 'of'. so one is
'bored of' being 'fed up of'