Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Why can't I return this?

On 4/11/2021 11:14 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/11/2021 1:48 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 11 Apr 2021 06:15:29 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, April 10, 2021 at 4:23:13 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
You think you've heard them all, but every day someone come up with a
dumber story.
https://tinyurl.com/42rtpz25

"She was screaming at, swearing, insulting, and threatening the
staff as
she demanded to return an item she didn't have with her, just a
photo of
the item on her phone," Sprague wrote in her Facebook caption about the
confrontation. "The staff were professional and respectful. But they
couldn't return an item she didn't actually have with her."

I was in Costco a few months ago to return an item.Â* While waiting in
line I watched
a woman with a whole flat cart full of about twenty cases of ceramic
floor tile that
she was returning.Â* She didn't have the receipt, they were trying to
find it on their
system and she was telling them that it was about 5 years ago when
she bought it.

I forget whehther having the receipt matters on this one or not, but
Home Depot after a year or two gives a refund but only about 10% of what
you paid.

They were trying to do the return, not saying no.Â*Â* I got done before
she did, so IDK
how it ended.Â*Â* I'm actually annoyed that places like this put up
with this BS.Â* It just
raises prices for the rest of us.Â*Â* Costco will wind up chucking that
tile or getting
some jobber to take it for $20.Â* I don't even remember seeing them
stock that stuff,
but I do remember seeing wood flooring so I guess they did.

Another time I watched a woman go right from paying at the checkout
to the
returns with a large pack of pork chops.Â*Â* I wonder what happened to
those?
They very likely took them back, but then what?Â*Â* I would think that
the policy
is likely that fresh food product like that gets thrown away, because
they don't
know where it's been.Â*Â* In this case it only went 30 ft, but that may
not matter.

I can never remember the guy's name, but he had a big department storre
in Philadelphia and afaik he started the practice of easy returns, in
order to bring in customers and get them to buy before they were 100%
positive they wanted something.Â*Â* He has a 3 or 4 syllable name.Â* He
also invented the department store Santa and some other marketing
innovations, all these to encourage shopping and buying and make himself
more money.Â* Had a smaller branch in DC.

Something like Forestal or Sonnenthal

Wannamaker's!Â* That's it.Â* You can read about all his innovations.

The latest iteration of methods to encourage buying is that Amazon gives
free shipping on orders no matter how small within 24 hours of an order
that qualified for free shipping under other rules, mainly "over $25".
This policy does't encourage the second order so much as it encourages
the first order.Â* So people won't delay while they make up their mind
about one more item.

Easiest return I made was Amazon.Â* Tell them you want to return
something and they give you an authorization to print.Â* Take it to UPS
store.Â* They took it in, packed it and notified Amazon so a credit was
issued in a couple of hours.

We have had 3 occasions where Amazon said they have credited your
account. No requirement to return the item. Now that's easy.