Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: more PC insanity

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 12:25:22 +0100, #Paul wrote:

NY wrote:
It was quite a shock to read something which was *so* illiterate from
someone who would have passed his A levels to get to university ...

When I went though secondary school, it was not uncommon for pupils on
the science/maths side of the distribution to have dropped any subject
that required them to write essays; just as the other "humanities" group
had dropped science and maths subjects as soon as possible; naturally,
this greatly exacerbated the weaknesses of both groups.

I did a short lived A level called Physical Science (from Nuffield).

One requirement was knowing how to precis. We had weekly lessons from the
Head of English; it was quite good.

He used various popular science articles from newspapers. He said he
learned quite a lot!