Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive Arthur[_2_] Clive Arthur[_2_] is offline

Default Removing Leatherette Surface

I sometimes repair and refurbish Roberts DAB radios as a sort of hobby.
I do a few minutes a day while waiting for simulations to finish, or
just thinking. There are a few fairly common faults and I have the gear.

These are covered in a sort of leatherette, I suppose. This is of
appalling quality and is usually very badly worn and torn, even after a
couple of years of just sitting on a shelf. This is good, it makes them
inexpensive.

It usually scrapes off easily, there's some sort of nasty sticky thin
foam underneath which rubs and scrapes off too and then a fabric backing
which is pretty robust. The fabric takes paint very well and makes an
attractive textured finish.

However one I've just repaired has some areas where the covering is very
difficult to remove, and I don't want to damage the fabric.

If it's sunny tomorrow, I'll see if a bit of UV exposure helps, but any
other suggestions?

--
Cheers
Clive