Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Seatbelts Dammit!

On 4/12/2021 11:22 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 10:16:53 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
rbowman writes:
On 04/11/2021 11:30 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I've often wonder about these head on collisions. They don't give a
time but this one seems like daylight, most are night. If you see
headlight coming at you, I'd think it would be smart to go off to the
side to be sure. This section of road was very wide with a lot of
center median and shoulder.

Unless it took them a long time to respond it looked light daylight, no
visibility problems, and plenty of room to get off the road. Even
without going off road, it has two lanes like any other undivided highway.

Most headons occur without warning. A sudden swerve into oncoming
traffic, a blind curve, a moment's inattention.

True. I vaguely remember the days before I-80 was running through Nebraska. Highways
6 and 34 were the main east-west roads. Both two lane. It seemed like the local tv news had
at least one head-on collision every evening to talk about.

I have seen a lot of these on dash cam videos from Australia.

I'm reminded of a head on I was in years ago on my first visit to the
UK. A coworker was driving and we had just left a motorway on a clover
leaf with three lanes for two way traffic and he was in the center lane.
No traffic but here comes a car in the center lane towards us and he
turns right and the other car turns left and we hit head on. My
coworker was born and raised in Northern Ireland but had been in the US
for several years. He forgot where he was. Both cars were totaled but
seat belts and low speed kept us from being injured. My coworker was
refused another rental and I had to get it and drive the rest of the
way. Nightmare for me driving on the left and standard shift on the left.