Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: more PC insanity

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 13:36:15 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

The reason I haven't 'remembered' is in many cases the same reason I
couldn't remember the mobile phone number I've had for ~15 years (till
very recently) it's because I didn't need to because there were often
ways of gleaning such that were more reliable (spell checkers, phone
books etc).

Spelling requires a set of cognitive pattern recognition skills that not
everyone has (including me!), however as with many things, if you have
the skills it can be difficult to comprehend why others might find it so
difficult.

Quite.

The best comparison I have found that gives them a "feel" for the
complexity, is to point out that you asking me to learn the spelling of
a list of words, would be for me a task of similar complexity to me
asking you to remember a similar length list of phone numbers. I.e.
something that you would be forced to remember as a special case for each.

For me it's not quite as bad as that as I'm generally ok with anything
that is phonetic.

snip

When reading something (on a subject I have some knowledge of) I will
often spot anything that either doesn't make sense but may well
completely miss spelling mistakes on *some* words.

Yup, I find in many cases I can read through something generally badly
spelt and not even notice.

But then I guess that the focus (on technical content) may distract
from 'checking' for spelling (if they don't pop out at you). A classic
one seen here is 'teh' instead of 'the'?

Although I will tend to notice poor grammar far more readily, even where
it's spelling related (say using there in place of their, or weather in
place of whether etc.

I think I can, again if I'm not preoccupied on the content (like when
reading the instructions trying to get something working that I need
working quickly).

If I think that anyone else reading such might then question the
'professionalism' of the writer (say on their web / sales site) then I
might feed such back in case they might like to adjust what they had
written.

Indeed - and to be fair they have a point, but it's another case of
one's own abilities skewing perception. If they find it easy to proof
read a page and spot all the spelling errors, they they will tend to
assume that someone not correcting them is just being lazy / sloppy.

Agreed.

The last was the Odroid N2+ I bought as the host for my Home Assistant
where the advert suggested that it 'came with' a part in the 'bundle'
when it actually did not (well, not included in the price), making it
slightly misleading / confusing. I mentioned this in general pre sale
correspondence and they confirmed it wasn't as clear as it could be
and they would feed it back to the marketing / web boys (not that they
seem to have changed it yet). ;-)

https://www.odroid.co.uk/Home-Automa...roduct_id=1058

Yup I see what you mean -

Good. ;-)

pricing the entry level at £135 including the
4GB device, and then offering upgrades to 32, 64, and 128GB devices at
extra cost would probably have been better.

Yes. When I've seen that sort of presentation before that's exactly
what they have done where anything above the base offering is '+£xxx
extra' for each 'upgrade'.

The thing that makes it even more 'strange' there is that the onboard
RAM isn't changeable, the PSU is ok as that's just a country thing but
you *can* run it from SSD but can't buy the bundle without an eMMC?

I guess the bundle means the unit, inc PSU and HA installed on the
eMMC of your choice, as opposed to buying the unit, PSU, eMMC with a
base OS and you having to install HA yourself:

https://www.odroid.co.uk/index.php?r...y&path=246_239

Back on the words / spelling thing, I am reminded constantly (TV and
ITRW) how many people *say* 'anythinK' but I wonder what percentage of
them would write is like that?

And when young my parents corrected me if I ever said 'we was' and why
it seems so strange that so many people also seem to get that wrong?

Cheers, T i m