Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Cine Editors

On 11/04/2021 09:11, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Holmes wrote:

Hi All,

I am considering purchasing a second hand Cine Editor (viewer).

Some listings state that they are dual (8mm and Super 8),some just say 8mm.

Is it the case that they would all work with both formats?

TIA

Chris

Its possible an editor that only claims to be 8mm wont show the full
frame. The films are the same width but the frame in Super 8 is larger by
virtue of only having sprocket holes down one side. Also an 8mm player may
have twin sprockets that wont work with Super8.

Youd really need to check with the sellers. A Super8 editor would be a
safer purchase as it will play both formats I think.

Standard 8 was produced as a cheaper alternative to 16mm for home
movies. It was made by splitting 16mm film down the middle and doubling
the number of holes. Thus, it only had holes along one side.

--
Colin Bignell